Making yogurt from scratch may sound daunting, but it is actually very easy to do. I started making yogurt years ago when I was on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Back then, I used the Yogourmet yogurt maker, but now the Instant Pot has a yogurt setting, making it even easier.
Homemade probiotic yogurt is the cornerstone of the SCD. When made from scratch, you can increase the fermentation time to allow for more beneficial bacteria to be produced and all the lactose from the milk to be digested. This yogurt is fermented for 24 hours whereas commercially produced yogurt is typically only fermented for 8-10 hours. Most store-bought yogurts contain a lot of sugars, artificial sweeteners, and colors. Making your own gives you control over sweetening it as well. You pick the sweetener and the amount you want to add. This lactose-free, high-probiotic yogurt is wonderful for helping to restore or maintain balance in the gut.Print
Half gallon whole milk (for Keto use half and half or heavy cream)
½ cup good quality plain commercial yogurt with active cultures
10 grams of freeze-dried yogurt starter
- Pour milk into the inner pot of the Instant Pot and put cover on with vent turned toward “sealing”.
- Push the “Yogurt” button, then “Adjust”.
- The word “Boil” will light up and it will start heating the milk to 180 degrees.
- The word “Yogt” will light up when it is finished heating.
- Remove the lid from the Instant Pot being careful not to let the condensation from the lid drip into the milk.
- Use a thermometer to confirm it is 180 degrees.
- With the lid off, press “Yogurt” and “Adjust” again and allow to heat for an additional 5 minutes.
- Press “Cancel” to turn off the machine.
- Remove the inner pot and place in a large bowl filled with ice and water to cool.
- When the milk reaches 80 degrees, remove any “skin” that has formed.
- In a small bowl, place ½ cup yogurt or 10 grams of yogurt starter.
- Add 1 cup of the cooled milk and whisk well.
- Pour milk back into the inner pot and place it in the Instant Pot
- Put the cover back on with vent turned toward “sealing.”
- Push the “Yogurt” button and increase time to reach 24 hours.
- After 24 hours turn off and unplug the Instant Pot.
- Place yogurt in a large or individual containers and refrigerate for 8 hours.
The yogurt is now ready to eat and will keep for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator. Use as you would plain store-bought yogurt. Enjoy!
*Cook time: ferment and cool for 32 hours (noted in the instructions).
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 32 hours